Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Unique Acres - Past, Present, and Future


 Unique Acres. A name that my grandfather came up with to summarize his farm that had a little bit of everything. Cows, chickens, peacocks, goats and more. He had a well put together herd of Scottish Highland Cattle registered with the American Highland Cattle Association. Visiting as a kid, I always loved seeing the cows. 

I started my own little fold about four years ago. Using the same name, I was able to bring the farm back. It wasn't the same farm or even in the same area, but it was the legacy of family. There is so much to tell about this story, and I will in time. 

For now, these three were the first animals around (pictured above). Ruby, a level headed quarter horse mare, full of that chestnut mare sass. Trillium,  my very first Highland cow. Aine, a Holstein sweet as candy and dumb as a rock. 

I started with one. For awhile I felt the Highland was the only representative of Unique Acres. As time passed I realized they were all part of the fold, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Unique was the perfect description of it. Especially as the fold grew from 3 to 4, 4 to 6, and eventually seven animals. 

 Four years, I grew as a person. I gained a newfound responsibility to my animals. I had something to take care of. It was a journey full of stress and reward. Life has a way of changing, and my time with cattle was coming to an end this past Spring. 

Responsibility is a great thing to learn, but it means making hard choices. Letting the cattle go was a decision I made for me, so that I could be more present for my wife and newborn son. 


Colter Jess, his middle name the first name of my grandfather. Though Unique Acres is quiet right now, the legacy is still very much alive. This blog is a way for me to recapture the four years that taught me so much. It is a way for me to share the past, the present and plans for the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Good Dog on a Good Truck

 Having a good truck is important on the farm. Having a good dog is even better!  A photo I took last Summer of our Border Collie Riot on th...